top of page

AARP Tax Prep

Beginning Tuesday, January 16, we will accept calls for AARP Tax Preparation. Appointments will run Mondays, Feb 5-Apr 8, at 10am, 12pm, and 1:45pm.

Click here for more tax information for those who are not seniors. United Way of Washtenaw County services any individual, regardless of age, if you made under $64,000 in 2023.

The AARP Foundation’s Tax-Aide tax assistance is provided by trained volunteers in partnership with the IRS, and is geared toward seniors and low- to modest-income taxpayers (under $69,000). The volunteers do Federal and Michigan 1040 forms and credits, and amended returns. The returns will be sent electronically, and you will receive a paper copy to take home for your files. They are able to do some simple business returns (Schedule C – except for  rental income, depreciation, inventory, home offices, or a net loss). They can also offer advice if you are doing your own return and have questions.  They are not able to do rental income or farm income, non-resident-alien returns or state returns other than Michigan. AARP membership is not required.


  • For joint returns, IRS policy is that both spouses must be present

  •  If you have 2 tax returns to be done (such as yours and an elderly parent’s), schedule 2 sequential time slots – the second following the first.  (Will need a Power of Attorney for anyone who cannot come to the site.)


You will need to bring:


  • A copy of last year's 2022 Federal & State Tax returns (VERY IMPORTANT)

  • Driver's License or other Government-issued Photo ID 

  • Social security cards and birthdates for yourself, spouse, and dependents

  • For Direct Deposit of a refund, we MUST see a personal check

  • For Property Tax Credit, 2022 Property Tax receipts Summer and Winter

  • If you received a 1095-A, regarding health insurance, bring it

For those who make less than $69,000, AARP offers their free service online. Visit this link to learn more.

Other items needed, if applicable:  

  • W-2 forms from each employer

  • SSA-1099 form if you were paid Social Security benefits;

  • All 1099 forms (1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B, etc.) showing interest and/or dividends and documentation showing |original purchase price of sold assets;

  • 1099-MISC showing any miscellaneous income;

  • 1099-R form if you received pension, IRA, or annuity distributions;  

  • 1099-G form if you received unemployment compensation; 

  • W-2 G if you received gambling winnings

  • Dependent-care provider information (name, address, Tax ID or SS#, amount paid);

  • DHS annual statement showing DHS assistance

  • If potential Heating Credit, bring Dec, Jan, or Feb DTE bill   

  • If receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI), bring letter from Social Security    Administration          

  • If renting, proof of rent paid (and landlord’s name & address)

bottom of page